Yearly profits and losses

Daily profits seem sprouting here and then. Everyone seems to post profits as soon as they get. It’s good.

But what I was curious is how many of them have been profitable on an yearly basis?

And any seasoned/veteran traders tell how much they have profited the last many years? Have they had any negative or breakeven year? % returns can be okay if they don’t want to reveal actual amount. How much they pay in taxes?

The responses will be exciting and much looking forward!

1 Like

finally an interesting thread to watch!
@nithin @Riyas_Ahamed @velu @TIMEFRAME @samsingh guys post your 2 cents here.

Samsingh posted already.

@Riyas_Ahamed has already posted about his earnings on a different thread. @samsingh has not only posted, he has also written about his trading journey on a different thread. @nithin is still riding his only trade that is Zerodha.

1 Like

I have never had a profitable year. Best was 8k loss.

I am small trader too. Capital <1 lakh

Still can you put a value on the fun and entertainment that market and price action provide !! :grin:

5 Likes

@Celina i already posted in diffrent thread , anyway upon your request
i am trading more then 8 years , but i will tell last 2 years i rembember

2018- equity F&O profit is 17 laks + liquid fund return 3.2 llakhs total =20 lakhs+
2019- equity f&o profit is 14.5 lakhs + liquid fund return is 3.45 lakhs =17.5 lakhs
2020 - YTD - profit is 3.3 lakhs still counting . running 60 days challenge i flashed here =3.3L + 1.75L + 90k =6 L

i am very conservative trader :expressionless:

4 Likes

May i know ur total capital plz?
And what % of it do u deploy at a given time?

1 Like

@NIlesh_Gaikwad 40L , not increasing more , all the profit i will invest in other instrument

yearly 50% profit i am expecting , no intraday . only positional

2 Likes

That’s cool. Do you use any algo trading or analyse on your own to take positions?

@Raja_123 No algo , No chart, No technical analysis , No high paid software , No intraday , No futures market , No cash market trading

ONLY POSITIONAL OPTION TRADING

Only kite and sensibull that’s all it’s rewarding me 50% yearly profit,i never try any other trading product in the market ,I keep my trading as much as simple ,

5 Likes

Doing full time trading from 2018 aug

Aug 2018 -> March 2019 = 1+L loss
Apr 2019 -> March 2020 = 25+L profit
Apr 2020 -> till now = 14+L profit
Learning from 2018 to mid 2019 = invaluable :diamonds:

check my twitter , posting my monthly ledger from 2019 oct ( after i moved to MO ) :wink:

I am yet to use my full capital and still playing conservatively .
After making some more money , planning to get into net debit strategies as well .

2 Likes

Yeah I was just going through your other responses and it made a lot of sense. I have been in these markets for quite some time making around 30 to 35% yearly on long term investing and option writing but was never so much successful in monthly options writing. Can you throw some light or any video that you made on how you trade in options? This will be immensely helpful for ppl like me

@velu waiting for response from you as well, if any

1 Like

if you don’t do technical analysis or charting etc.then how do you decide the direction of markets or do you always trade non directional strategies?

@stock_noob

i never seen what a normal trader look . i will always in the non-directional only , no one cannot predict the market , if you are predicting the market then its will be the toughest view you are expecting from the market , i am happy with 50% profit every year , i am not aggresive trader , if i setup the trade in the begining of the month ,only once per week i will look the market if need some adjustment in the position , I seperated the income from the market as folows

Daly income is - 900 rs
weekely income is - 20k
monthly income is - 1 lkhs

i am living the rules in the market following income rules more then 8 years +

5 Likes

awesome! would love to learn a thing or two from you sir.

2 Likes

:slight_smile: True.

But running a business isn’t just one long trade. You end up having to make decisions regularly keeping risk to reward in mind which determines the future of the business. So it is almost like trading. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Can you throw some light on how you trade non-directional strategies?

My progress so far ( was doing trade from work place for quite some time :wink: ) ,

1. Equity intraday for 1 year ( mostly break-even i GUESS )
  2. Stock option buying ( lost money in quick time )
  3. Stock/index option selling ( lost money slowly )
  4. stopped trading for 4/5 years till 2015/2016 because of my onsite work assignment
  5. stock option selling based on results news and then became full time trader in mid 2018 ( made consistent money in this , so i was confident that even if i lose money in other trades i can survive with this results trade )
  6. stock option buying before a week and exit before the results ( break-even in this )
  7. stock option selling for vix drop during the results ( made good money but risky as well )
  8. index option buying for the events ( made good money in this , need to scale up )
  9. intrday weekly option selling
  10. expiry day net option selling

my progression as a trader in sequence.
I have to try intrday debit spreads and breakout trading.

7 Likes

Only in losses so far but I hope I will make a profit in the coming years.

Dec 31, 2017 to Dec 31, 2018 = - 404.25 loss (Net realised P&L)
Dec 31, 2018 to Dec 31, 2019 = -1,780.38 loss (Net realised P&L)
Dec 31, 2019 to Now = -11,920.96 loss (Net realised P&L)

5 Likes

Hello Brother @Riyas_Ahamed,

Which liquid fund you prefer?

3L+ Liquid fund gain on 40L+ looks impressive.

Thanks