Your comments on SEBI discussion paper that talks of making F&O product tougher to access for retail traders

Chill out. Let see what happens. The proposal may even get struck down and never take off.
In the meantime, file your ITR, if you already haven’t done so.

Lets see how it plays out. I hope/pray this doesn’t ever materialise. and such proposals just never even get conceptualised.

And relax :slight_smile:

really hope so man beacause this is really frustrating, any information that we get on the topic lets share it on the platform so that all of us are aware of this and can do something if possible. Cheers :slight_smile:

The real issue is to have a professional heading SEBI
Like RBI is the Government’s banker, but is headed by a professional from the industry.
Never IAS babus sit on RBI.

Same should be with SEBI.
Right now, SEBI is headed by bureaucrats, who may/may not know how the industry works.
They’re generally a generation behind technology.

Anyway, pray and hope that retail traders never face any restrictions in taking derivative exposure.

And have thandai in the meanwhile!

2 Likes

@nithin Please if you have the means to contact sebi and put the retail side and the logical side of the story, then please do. It’ll go a long way for us.

Your points are absolutely correct , these IAS babus here politicians , so if anybody bring notice to retailer traders problems to them will work out , like to head or party president , either of BJP or Congress

1 Like

Agreed

@nithin

Plz put our view forward.

You’ve met the PM. You got national lvl awards!
You’re influential.

Help out the real retail traders!

Guys,

We are by far the largest retail brokerage in India by retail F&O trading volumes. Hence if something is done that brings down retail F&O volumes, it will hurt us as a business also quite a bit.

I kind of concur with SEBI that there has to be some kind of product suitability framework. Maybe a mandatory online exam to take ( to double check if the person understands risks and F&O as a product). Today a lot of people end up trading without even knowing what they are trading.

This thing around exposure based on income etc, hmm… I don’t think it is even practically possible to bring this in play. Especially more considering none of the farmers in India pay any tax. So would it then mean that farmers can’t trade/hedge using derivatives at all? Also, if same trader is using multiple brokerages and on multiple exchanges, who will monitor what is the overall exposure?

I have made my voice heard in all the right forums. We just have to wait and watch on how it plays out.

7 Likes
  1. Without f&o , how can possible to hedge or play downside trend in markets?.
    SLB is not suitable due to premium or interest and time lag.
  2. Even exam conducted is not right answer.
    Because trading is minus-sum game. Even if we ignore brokerage or charges still it is zero sum game.
    Morale, markets always have one loser and one winner in any case.Even we learn anything,truth remains same.

If you make f&o difficult for retailer trades just with reason of protecting for major risk…
Then that’s not fair because that they can also do with high volume intraday trading using high margin facilities like bo and co.

1. Sebi should reduce down lot size future contract so retail trader can easily manage risk.

( If they say that with less lot size they buy multiple lot then it can also done with cash equity.)

I am really disappointed by sebi. They should try to make retail participation better. They are just trying to make retail out from f&o.

1 Like

I am sure that , mandatory exam will not at all reduce retail traders risk, Its highly not possible to prevent retail trader’s from trading in FNO , only reducing FNO lot sizes will reduce lot of risk to retail traders , i wonder the same SEBI is not at all talking about high risk involved in day trading ( excluding FNO ) SEBI is focusing only on taking out retail traders from FNO

I am smelling back stabbing but for whom, why SEBI is trying to give unethical fevor to FII and MF’s?

FNO in mainly for hedging the risk of the portfolio as the mkt became overpriced SEBI instead of reducing the lot size they are increasing it.

What if India’s retail investors send a team of representative to meet finance minister and explain the situation to him perhaps Mr.Modi also.

1 Like

FNO helps to hedge the risk of portfolio, but during market downtrend , other than FNO there is no option to take long short position/ trading opportunity for retail traders , so SEBI is planing to close that window , to help Mutual Fund Lobby and / IAS babus with their communist mindset, right now they are not talking about day trading , SEBI knows if they do , they will be hit immediately,

2 Likes

Nithin
What is happening with Sebi?? Again increase in margin by 5 percent in the name of Additional surveillance margin. . How r we retail customers gonna survive?? Already they stopped allowing primium to be deducted from total span and now this?? It’s gonna cut down on the fno market by atleast 30 percent or even more. .even OTM options need an additional 2 percent margin. . THATS HUGE…U have to do something bout it or else its gonna kill this market for retailers like us. .raise a campaign. .do something. .pls

4 Likes

I did create ARTI lmao. My number is 9560606861. Ping me up and I will add you to the group. And yes nothing that SEBI does is right.

3 Likes

When any gov institution by all means trying to act against common individual, it means corruption.
Seems like SEBI is contaminated with corrupt babus.

3 Likes

Did you see the definition of OTM?
It’s 5%+ away from last closing price!

For example, if Reliance closing price is 1335 or 1340.
Then, even 1400 CE is not OTM!

correct

True for nifty almost 500 points away is OTM amd that too will attract 2 percent extra margin. .its gonna ruin strangles. . Really bad

1 Like

Go to this thread -