Pledged stocks unpledging and selling

I have no hope. It’s been ages .

2 Likes

@siva, @ShubhS9

This friday,

• I initiated liquidbees unpledge before morning session start.
  • Was planning to stay light on position on friday. Nice opportunities presented itself and took largish positions that are still open and nicely positive.
  • Forgot about the unpledge till trading session end.
  • Did a pledge of another cash component
  • After session end remembered it and tried to cancel the pledge - console app did not permit saying it is being processed.

By saturday, unpledge got executed and reflected. BUT the peldge is still waiting for the monday !
I have a large equity pledge. But that is not sufficient due to cash component falling short in a big way.
This has resulted in large negative margin position.

Now I end up paying heavy penalty & interest :frowning:

There have been several other such gotchas with zerodha. Ex:

• When server is loaded due to lot of market activity, the margin utilization does not reflect properly in the app. After taking lot of positions, it suddenly changes to negative.
  • Far OTM positions are not permitted to increase margins.

Now and then I have gotten on the wrong side and paid penalties.
I was mulling trying out another broker for sometime now. This has been a trigger to actual do it.

Yes, I should have been careful, disciplined. Zerodha too much burden on me to do margin calculations and position sizing continuously during trading.
I would like the tools to work in a way suited for my trading needs.

Not all of the above problems exist with some of the other brokers (there may be some other issues though)

• cash component is not mandatory with some
  • unpledge is instantaneous
  • pledge is instantaneous
    Any one of these would have removed the pain.

I do not intend to make a full switch. But I have decided to do a small % of my investments & trades somewhere else for now.

Thanks Zerodha - I do like what you have done all these years. BUT I get the impression that you are slowing down in bringing robustness as well as new features onto your platform.

4 Likes

@siva @ShubhS9 these days i see zerodha folks have stopped responding to posts on blog. they must be in some problems. i feel you guys need a good project manager who can prioritize on must-have features & implement in Agile mode…

1 Like

true,
Zerodha seems lost its track of implementing new things faster…

other discount brokers has caught up pretty fast, some even better in many aspects…

Whatever problem I face with Zerodha, others have already solved it.

its time to rethink. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Can you give some examples ?

@stonecold sir ji i request zerodha to bring full option chain in kite in 2015 still they are in progress , recently launched espresso , fyers, upstok, alice blue even all broker have option chain , only zerodha have facing diffcult to implement , even your request with zerodha aslso pending decades , so only i am not requesting anything here , because its waste of time for me , now i moved 50% of my portfolio in fyers , fyers is ok

@Arockiya_Raja why zerodha is ultra slow in implementing basic needs from 2010 , still you are working from 2010 to bring option chain , imeediate sell securities from demate , etc
how differ from other broker you are , are you dont have employees

3 Likes

@siva
It’s been more than a year since nifty reply of 2 months.

@nithin you talk abt safegaurding retail traders, but this handicap literally makes one helpless on a day when you need to liquidate quick. Please can you fix this?

1 Like

Yeah we had hit a roadblock on this at the back end. We had to change a bunch of things. @MohammedFaisal what is the current status?

1 Like

@MohammedFaisal can you please advise?

Like Nithin mentioned there were issues due to some backend changes. Hoping to go live in the next few months.

Again today opportunity lost on HDFC group. Can not un-pledge securities and sell it .

@nithin @MohammedFaisal This has to be your top priority.

5 Likes

We need it badly.

2 Likes

I tried selling my pledged shares just to pay a penalty. My mentor told me to first unpledge the shares and then, make a sell transaction. Have you all been doing this?

@Nakul @siva @nithin @VenuMadhav don’t be like other brokers. respond at-least. is this in your next thing to do? let everyone know the timelines. based on that we take a call.

1 Like

Just a wild guess, perhaps not relevant at all to this.

I read that Zerodha are working on some in house replacement for oms and that Front end changes don’t make much sense to them until they have control. So maybe once they have done that and its stable, we might get faster turnaround for other things.

Me just hoping that things stay at least as stable as they are today and no hiccups around major backend changes.

You are becoming too much optimistic and not realistic.

If implementation of in house RMS OMS was the reason for delay in introducing this feature then they would have simply said that we can’t implement the feature being requested until the OMS RMS system is in place.
If they are not doing so then this is not the reason. Its been more than 2 years and still no progress.

The main reason could be they don’t want to introduce this system at all.
Because they are the benchmark for Indian Stock Brokers. This is the ultimate truth.
Whatever they introduce every other stock broker in the industry has to implement it to survive.
If Zerodha says we will make brokerage at Rs10 flat then every single broker in market has to follow the suit.
If they don’t implement it they are going to go bankrupt sooner or later. Thats why Zerodha is always over cautious when making fundamental changes.

And by the way 2 months for Zerodha is not yet over.

4 Likes

As i said, just a guess.

But anyway, i am very happy with Z performance and stability vs other brokers that i have used. Only IB has been as stable and maybe surpasses in features - but they have other issues.
Not sure why they would care for what other brokers need to do to keep up. But i think others need to be much better or do something different. If a smaller broker gives same features as Z, why would i shift. Anyway, not relevant to topic …

1 Like

Interactive Brokers is the best broker I have used in terms of tech. Over a decade ago they had the tech that Indian stock brokers are now trying to provide but still just trying. They now have traversed further uncharted territories leaving the local brokerages way behind in terms of tech. This am talking about the frontend interface to the customer and whatever backend is there to offer seamless glitch free execution.

Their fee and min deposit structure was bit too high that time. But now they have also turned to a discount broker in India which means now they are a serious competition to their Indian peers.

For how long you trading on Interactive Brokers?
Why is it not famous in India?(atleast I have not heard about it)

1 Like

Well I auto traded for around 2yrs with IB on Nifty futures about a decade ago. They were not famous because of their higher charges and because they had only one office in mumbai then. They were catering more to professional active traders then and not really the entry level retail.

With the advent of discount brokers they have also now adapted. You can take a free demo of their platforms, simulate trade etc even before we open an account. These were available from the first decade of 21 century and continue till this day. Tell me which broker provides these sort of stuff today ? Even the No.1 doesn’t in India. If you see the capabilities of their platform you can gain more insight in to why they are way ahead in tech.

2 Likes