Trading is gambling or not : An interesting discussion

@SurajM
SurajM Yes it definitely is contradictory. But read it in its context, what the OP asked :

It is a well known experiment in probability. And I was giving an answer to his observations. His Q basically revolves around probability !

Now back to this thread. How does this 50:50 probability become 60:40 or 70:30 ?
From a bag containing 50 red and 50 green balls, what is the probability that you will end up with a green ball in first attempt ? = 0.5 !!!
Now while preparing this bag of balls, add more green balls (70) and less red (30) and repeat the experiment. THE PROBABLITY OF YOU SUCCEEDING IS HIGHER NOW.

Now I hope you are not finding them contradicting. And also I hope its has convinced you that trading is not gambling. If still you consider it that way then I would say even a chicken laying eggs does gambling and lays multiple eggs for higher success rate. Nature follows this principle. Even a kirana shop owner stocks his shop with multiple products. We are no different.

1 Like

seems like gambling if going by statistics only 5% make money trading for a livingā€¦plus there seems to be no formal educationā€¦just going by youtube videos I donā€™t think one can make money trading

Also, in my humble opinion people get into trading for a living is when they are unable to secure jobs for themselves or are stuck in their professional growth

@muneesh It will benefit you if you go thru this article to understand what trading is. Also you will eventually learn what gambling means.

NO Friendsā€¦this is 1st time I am joining the chatā€¦after seeing all ur desperation to know what exactly happens in the share marketā€¦ see every thing in this world works on some mechanismā€¦like that share market also works on some mechanismā€¦ if you want i can tell you that (strategy in ur language) mechanismā€¦but as someone told {there r no free lunch}.

regards

@sk669, i would love to learn something if you can atleast highlight your strategyā€¦these blogs are for learning & am sure experts may be able to refine it further. there would always be some guys who would criticize or talk rubbish but we can only ignore themā€¦

Come into my trading room-Dr. Elder

ā€œMarkets are the most entertaining places on the face of the Earth.
They are like a card game, a chess game, and a horse race all rolled
into oneā€¦ā€

2 Likes

Itā€™s based on How you considerā€¦

ur e-id?

Its Earning potential for people with knowledge of MATHS. For everyone else its Gamble.

1 Like

class 8th maths with charts

the rule

Had written something earlier :slight_smile:

In trading unlike other careers the results are instant - good or bad, unlike in other walks of life where it is delayed. I can gamble with anything in my life, from my education to work to my relationships, but the results of it are delayed. In trading since the results are instant, people call it gambling.

What you need to understand though is that like everything you do in life, you need special skills to be on the top, the only difference is that in trading only the people who are on the top can survive while the others perish. These special skills, some of it what you are born with, and most of it is what you learn over time based on your hardwork and experience.

19 Likes

Perfectly said. Couldnā€™t have said any better.

1 Like

Well Explained, It is a good explanation of this topic.

1 Like

Unfortunately, one branch of Maths that Market requires is probability Theory that is where it overslaps with Gamble. :grinning:

1 Like

Can't get the logic of BO AND CO ye dekho Phir bolo

Thank you

no one is born traderā€¦like no one is born cricketer or film star or scientistā€¦everyone becomes what they want with their passion, translate that passion with knowledge & execute that knowledge practically .
(Desire / Knowledge / execution) = Success

3 Likes

Why donā€™t we just follow just one thingā€¦ i.e. Trend is your friendā€¦
Do what the trend showsā€¦ if there is sudden sellingā€¦ book losses and move on to the next oneā€¦

1 Like